Sunday 1 March 2015

Update Status....Do You Really Care How I Feel?

There are times when I would totally like to unplug from all social media and just light some candles and sit around and talk with my family. Not just for an hour one Sunday night,but like...forever. I am beginning to get more and more irritated by some of the "tweets" and status updates that I read every day, and I admit to being just as irritating as the next guy. Who needs to see a picture of my breakfast? Who wants to know that I had a horrible day at work? And who really genuinely updates their status for any other reason  then for some small bit of self gradification?  I love to brag about my children, or let everyone know that I ran 15 kilometres that morning. It makes me feel accomplished and proud to know that others know these things about me. When you think about it, that is just wrong, on so many levels. And do others really care? I think for the most part, they think that I am bragging, or trying to make them feel insufficient or less fit, or less of a successful parent or athlete. That is not my intention, but I just kinda get that feeling. It's that thing when you read someone's status, and you think to yourself..."really...did I need to know that, or see that, or hear play by play of the last forty-five minutes of your life ?"
I seriously never intend to offend or upset people by my status updates, but I admit, I have. I have had people send me personal messages, thinking that I was speaking directly to them or about them regarding my opinion on an issue, and I had absolutely no idea I was being offensive to them or anyone else...but I was. I appreciated that whenever this happens, an usually,  I am able to clear things up, but I wonder how many times this has happened, and someone was really hurt, really offended by me, and just never let me know. I understand that I can't always worry about what other people think but we all have a certain responsibility to be accountable for offending people we associate with. It all just gets to be a little more than what I need to deal with in my day. If I have the time to post every move I make, every meal I eat, every corner I turn, then I am spending far to much time concerning myself with social media, and not nearly enough time living my life without that thought running through my head...."gotta put this on Facebook !!"
How often are you changing your "status"? Do you think about posting every time something interesting happens in your day? If your eating something delicious, or baking cookies, do you grab your camera to get that perfect pic to share with your friends? It almost seems like the first thing that comes to our minds now. We feel the need to share even the most intimate and personal moments in our lives on a social media site like Facebook or a picture on Instagram , and it begins to be a bit obnoxious at times. Do we not have people around us that we can share these things with? Can we not just eat our meal or bake our pie without grabbing the phone for a picture of it? Do we feel such an obligation to our social circle that we will go out of our way to post our feelings about the weather every time it changes. That happens a lot...the weather changes....and so do many of the status updates and posts. And it is equally as puzzling and maybe even annoying. Stormy then sunny...you never know what your going to get from day to day.
And then there are these ridiculous poles and questionnaires to prove or support some idealistic myth or image about you. I don't think I have ever been more disappointed with the social scene as much as I was this week when all we could talk about was a stupid dress. Children are starving around the world. Wars are being fought, the educational system is struggling, families are splitting apart, and all we can concern ourselves with is the colour of a dress??? What kind of vegetable are you? What is your mermaid name, what precious gem are you? WHO CARES? I swear, it is starting to drive me crazy. I am not a mineral, I am a mother. I don't want to play Candy Crush, I have meals to plan, and I could care less the colour of that dress, let me take the time to care about the lights and darks while I'm sorting my laundry every day!!
I am writing this blog for myself. I am reminding myself of what is most important. I need to step back from constantly jumping on Facebook to see what is going on in other peoples lives, and just focus on living my own. I connect with people through Facebook, so I do like it for that reason. I also like to keep myself accountable  with regards to my fitness goals, and I find that social media helps, but I also think that needs to change. I don't need to be that annoying person that makes you roll your eyes and scroll past my daily updates. I want to encourage and support people and be helpful and creative and inspiring.
We are in the season of Lent, and during this time many of us give up something...like chocolate, or chips, or alcohol for forty days, in the effort to symbolize sacrifice and self control. I challenge  us all, to not just give something up, but to take something, on that might demonstrate sacrifice and self control. We don't do this for self gratification, so it isn't necessary to post what you have done to change. The challenge is exactly that. This is the deal. Whenever you feel the urge to post something or change your status, first say it out loud. Then say it to someone else. Talk to someone around you about what you feel you need to share with the entire fb world. When your meal comes to you at the restaurant, leave your camera in your pocket, and thank the waiter or the chef for preparing such a beautiful dinner for you. And when your cookies are baked, go get your family or your neighbour, and share them with people around you, not just people in the social realm.
We need to reconnect. We need to refocus our energy and our thoughts on the things that matter most. I need to do this too. Because the colour of a dress is totally and completely irrelevant to all of our lives. It matters not, it changes nothing, it helps no one. I just want to get to the things that matter  most in all of our lives.

1 comment:

  1. I got rid of Facebook in November and surprisingly don't miss it :) I certainly did at first but it's surprising to see how many "friendships" were solely surviving on social media, and how many thrive without it :) This article was also a big factor in my giving up on FB, thought you might enjoy it :) http://www.relevantmagazine.com/culture/tech/stop-instagramming-your-perfect-life

    ReplyDelete